Bringing Asian flavors to every table
Most Hot Pot meals combine six types of ingredients: leafy green vegetables, mushrooms, meat, seafood, noodles, and tofu.
Store Bought Dipping Sauce Suggestions
1. Laoganma - chili sauce.
2. Sha Cha - Chinese bbq sauce.
3. Lee Kum Kee - Peanut Butter sauce
Hot Pot Ingredients
Lee Kum Kee Hot Pot Broth & Mulan pho Broth
Tropical Sunshine Shrimp
Jang udon noodle
Elephant King Firm Tofu
Thinly sliced Beef
Jang Fish Ball
Lotus Root (Sliced)
Shang Hai Choy
Dipping Sauce Ingredients
2 tbs soy sauce
2 tbs water
½ tsp minced garlic
1 ½ tbs lemon juice
½ tsp sugar
¼ cup sesame seeds
¼ cup water
2 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs rice vinegar
1 ½ tsp sesame oil
1 tsp peanut butter
½ tsp minced ginger
½ tsp sugar
Pinch chili flakes (optional)
Fill your Hot Pot with your favorite broth. (Tomato, Szechuan, mushroom broth etc.) Bring the broth to a simmer.
While you’re waiting, prep your other ingredients.
Vegetable and Tofu Prep
- Cut the firm tofu into large cubes
- Cut the Napa cabbage into 2” pieces
- Cut the Shang Hai Choy into halves or quarters, depending on the size of the vegetable
- Thinly slice the lotus root
- Cut broccoli into florets or bite sized pieces
- Prepare mushrooms by removing any part where the root is still attached.
Display the cut vegetables on plates or in bowls.
Display your fish balls, fish tofu, dumplings, thinly sliced pork or beef on plates or bowls. (Make sure any frozen items have been thawed.
Thaw out shrimp and display on plate.
Remove the fresh udon noodles from the package and let them come to room temperature. Display on a plate.
Cooking Your Hot Pot Meal
Bring the Hot Pot broth to boiling.
Ingredient Cooking Times in Boiling Broth:
Beef/ Pork: 15 - 20 seconds
Shrimp: 3 - 5 minutes
Fish Ball/ Tofu: 5-7 minutes
Vegetables: 1 - 2 minutes
Noodles: 3 - 5 minutes
Eating Your Hot Pot Meal
When cooking hot pot there is no wrong way, though different cultures do have their own way or process of cooking the results are always the same. So you pick and choose what way works best for you.
Guests help themselves from the various dishes, cooking and eating as they go.
Items are dropped in the boiling broth to cook or heat through.
Each guest has several bowls with a selection of dipping sauces in front of them to choose from. After cooking, guests dip their cooked items in a dipping sauce and eat.
Items can also be enjoyed with the delicious broth from the pot.
Many of the ingredients go in the pot starting with the item that takes the longest to cook then to the items that take the least amount of time to cook. Starting in small batches.
For instance fish balls and tofu will go in first though they are already precooked they are very dense causing them to need extra time to heat thoroughly.
Second item, Shrimp take 3-5 minutes to cook they will go in a few minutes after the fish ball and tofu.
Third item to go in would be dumplings then a minute after veggies and mushrooms.
Once you see that the broth is boiling again and the shrimp is cooked and pink in color. Use a slotted spoon or hot pot spider to scoop all the cooked ingredients out.
Noodles and beef will go in separately as they cook at different times and sink to the bottom of the pot.
Guests will then pick and choose what items they want to eat off of a communal plate.
Guests also have their choices of dipping sauces to enjoy with their hot pot.
Continue this process until all guests are full.
Eat warm and enjoy!
Young Green Jackfruit -
Barbeque Jackfruit Sandwich
2 cans Mulan Young Green Jackfruit in Brine, 20 oz
Medium onion sliced
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
Drain and thoroughly rinse jackfruit then squeeze as much liquid out as you can with a clean cloth or towel. Using a sheet pan or any flat surface lay out paper towel or cloth towels, then spread out the jackfruit and pat dry.
Break the jackfruit into small pieces by and for larger chunks use scissors.
Slice one medium onion.
Heat 1-2 Tbsp oil in a pan on medium heat. Add sliced onion and jackfruit. Cook for two minutes then add seasonings and cook a few minutes more.
Add barbeque sauce to taste and heat through.
Toast hamburger buns. Top with BBQ jackfruit and coleslaw.
Eat warm and enjoy!
Yum Woon Seen - THAI SALAD
3 cloves garlic
1-2 Thai chili
10 cilantro stems
1 Tbsp. palm sugar
2 Tbsp. fish sauce
3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
1Tbsp. small dried shrimp (soaked)
2 Roma tomatoes julienned and deseeded
½ yellow onion thin julienne
2 stalks Chinese celery sharp bias
2 bunches of Mulan Vermicelli noodles
Small handful of cilantro leaves
3 Tbsp. crushed roasted peanuts
100g Ground pork + dash of fish sauce
6-8 pc 16-20 count shrimp cleaned and deveined
1. In a small bowl, soak dried shrimp for ten minutes then drain and lightly crush using a mortar and pestle. Note, if you don’t have a mortar and pestle you can use a food processor or mince the ingredients by hand.
2. Crush together garlic and Thai chili into small pieces using a mortar and pestle.
3. Next add cilantro stems and continue crushing. Add palm sugar and mix until dissolved then add fish sauce, fresh lime juice and the lightly crushed, dried shrimp.
4. Set the dressing aside until you’re ready to use.
1. In a bowl, cover vermicelli with room temperature water 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. Julienne tomatoes into ½ inch thick slices, deseeding as you go.
3. Cut the Chinese celery (leaves and stem) into ¾ inch sharp bias pieces.
4. Put tomatoes and celery in large bowl – all of the ingredients will eventually be added to this bowl.
5. Slice onions into ¼ inch thick pieces.
6. Fill a medium size pot with water, three quarters full and bring to a simmer. Add onions to simmering water and blanch for 1 minute. Scoop out softened onions and add to large bowl containing tomatoes and celery.
7. The residual heat from the onions will begin to wilt and slightly cook the tomato and celery.
8. Cut the vermicelli in half so noodles will not be too long. To heat the vermicelli, blanch the noodles for 10-15 seconds by quickly dipping in the water you cooked the onions in. After blanching, gently rinse the noodles in warm water to loosen them up. If the noodles get sticky add warm water. Add the vermicelli to the bowl with the other vegetables.
9. Turn up the heat on the pot with the water to bring to a boil. Add the raw shrimp to the boiling water and cook for 2-3 minutes (depending on size of shrimp) until shrimp are bright pink and cooked through. Add shrimp to the bowl with the other ingredients.
10. Drain most of the water from the pot leaving just enough to cover the bottom. Add ground pork and a few dashes of fish sauce.
Cook pork until fully browned. Add pork to the bowl with the other ingredients along with two tablespoons of the broth from the pot.
11. Give the salad a toss then add the dressing and continue tossing to coat and mix ingredients. Just before serving, add cilantro, half the crushed peanuts and toss.
12. To serve, add noodle salad to plate, garnish with a sprinkling of peanuts and cilantro on top.